The Oscar International College TESOL 130 Program is designed for people wishing to pursue a career in teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) to nonnative speakers in Canada or anywhere around the world. The program consists of 100 hours in the classroom plus a 30-hour practicum in which experienced, working ESL teachers are observed and actual English learners are taught. Trainees learn the most accepted and successful language teaching method currently in use, Communicative Language Teaching. Classes include lectures and demonstrations on topics such as presenting language forms and functions, the integration of language skills, pronunciation, lesson planning and classroom management.
The Education Assistant program was reviewed and approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
- Completion of an undergraduate degree from an English-speaking university
And one of the following:
- TOEFL iBT: a score of 101 overall with a minimum of 23 in listening, 24 in reading, and 27 in each of reading and writing
- IELTS: 7 overall with a minimum score of 7 in each skill area
- MELAB: 85, with a speaking test score of 4
- Cambridge: CAE, CPE or BEC Higher certificates
- Cantest: Listening, Reading, Writing 5 and Speaking level 4.5
- CAEL: Band 60 overall, with minimum of 60 in each of the writing and speaking subtests
- Canadian Language Benchmarks Placement Test: CLB 9 in each area
- Common European Framework: C1
- Oscar International College English Proficiency Exam: Level 6 (Advanced 1)
- Graduation from a high school in Canada with a grade of at least 70% in English 12
*Exam scores presented as proof of English proficiency must have been earned no more than one calendar year before application to the TESOL program
*Original documents must be provided as proof of graduation or English proficiency.