The Health Care Assistant program (HCA) will prepare students to work in a variety of health-related work environments. The health care needs continue to grow in our country. Graduates will be equipped with the knowledge for a career in care-giving with the hands-on experience. HCA has been recognized by the BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry and the Ministry of Advanced Education in B.C. and follows the provincial curriculum, implementing a common set of training standards and graduating competent front-line health care providers.
The Education Assistant program was reviewed and approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
Courses: Phase I
Courses: Phase II
- High school diploma or equivalent or age of 18 or above
- Proof of English proficiency ability
Native English SpeakersEvidence of one of the following:
- Proof of completion of Grade 10 English; or
- College courses determined to be equivalent to completion of Grade 10 English (or higher) by post-secondary institutions. Applicants must produce transcripts as evidence of completion. A minimum of a C grade is acceptable.
- Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT): Reading Comprehension 35/50, Spelling 23/32
- Language Placement Index (LPI): The three individual scores (Sentence Structure, English Usage, and Reading Comprehension) must total a minimum of 20, out of a maximum possible score of 40. Essay level of 4, with a minimum essay score of 24/40
- Accuplacer: Grade 10 level or higher Recommended Cut Scores*: Reading Comprehension 60, Sentences Skill 55, Write placer 4
Non-Native English Speakers**Either of the following assessments must have been completed within the last two years or last year: Evidence of one of the following test scores:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): test must be within the last two years, IBT only — Overall score of 76 with no score lower than 20 in Speaking and Listening and no score lower than 18 in Reading and Writing
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Academic or General — test must be within the last two years: Overall score of 6 with a minimum of 6 in Speaking and Listening and no score lower than 5.5 in Reading and Writing
- Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test (CLB PT): test must be within the last year: Listening 7, Speaking 7, Reading 6 and Writing 6 – Note: a CLB Report Card from a LINC Program may also be accepted.
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP): Academic or General — Academic: Aggregate score of 4L or better, with 4L or better in Speaking and Listening and 3H or better in Reading and Writing. General: CELPIP 7 or better in Speaking and Listening and CELPIP 6 in Reading and Writing
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL): Overall Score of 60, with no section less than 50 Passing